Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Today in Kaija's Mailbox: Trees!

Today, I got trees in the mail. They've been dormant all winter, just waiting for a gentle green thumb to coax them back to life. My family and I support Arbor Day Foundation, which sends out ten trees plus two shrubs with a ten dollar donation. While I haven't yet received those trees, the additional bushes and trees I ordered arrived today!

They aren't much to look at yet, but I'm proud of them anyway. I planted two forsythias in a patch of garden that stays barren most of the year, and I put the small red maple tree near another red maple we have growing on our property. I'm going to be planting the Rose of Sharon shrubs in a different part of my garden this weekend, along with the Heritage Raspberry everbearing bush I ordered. We're also planning to plant some wildflower seeds to give our garden a more rugged look and, more importantly, make it more friendly for local wildlife and pollinating insects like bumble bees and butterflies.

Until then, all we can do is make sure our baby trees have enough water and fertilizer to grow up big and tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment