- Decide on a vision beforehand, but leave a lot of wiggle room in your plans. The more flexible you are, the greater the chance of serendipity working in your favour to help you create your perfect garden.
- Choose your containers carefully. They'll contribute to the final look of your garden in a major way, so you might want to splurge a little in this area. You might also want to consider hand-painting your containers to give your garden an individualistic, artsy feel.
- Choose plants native to your area, and plant them as indicated. You don't want to put a shade plant in full sun, or vise versa.
- Plant carefully. Take into consideration things like animals that might invade your garden and children who might destroy your hard work. It's good to have a plan that takes into account how large each plant is going to grow so you have an idea of how your garden will look once its in bloom.
- Everything is better with wildflowers, so grab a packet of seeds and get planting.
- The perfect garden is all in the details. Buy decorations that complement your plants and speak to you on a personal level. Go bargain hunting for little treasures at a local thrift shop and place them in secret, but not completely hidden, places throughout your garden. This'll put a magical touch in your yard, and we can all use a little whimsy in our lives, right?
Here are some photos of my garden that will hopefully inspire you to make an even more beautiful one around your own home.