Thursday, April 2, 2015

Eurovision Review: Romania with De La Capat

First Thoughts: I am inordinately pleased that Romania opted to keep most of its song in Romanian this year. I think we need more native-language songs in Eurovision. I may not understand the words, but I can feel the meaning, you know? Songs don't have to be in the common languages of Europe to move audiences. In any case, I like this song.

Best/Worst Lyric: The one thing about songs that aren't in English, French, or Spanish is that I don't have a clue what the best lyric is. And, personally, I think the worst one is the one in English. I'd have preferred if they kept the entire song in Romanian.

Finalist? Sadly, I don't think so. Non-common language songs don't do all that well in Eurovision.

Final Thoughts: Thank you, Romania. Thank you for showing us the beauty of your language. Thank you for highlighting the fact that Europe needs to strive for unity in conjunction with, not to the exclusion of, celebrating its differences. Thank you for giving us a song that feels honest, sounds beautiful, and moves me.

Score out of 12: Douze points.

No comments:

Post a Comment