Monday, March 9, 2015

Melfest Review: Eric Saade - Sting

First of all, let me say that I love Eric Saade. I have two of his albums in my iTunes library, I have a huge man-crush on him, and I even cut my hair to model his hairstyle a few years back. In my eyes, he'll always be the King of Scandipop because he is just that cool.

That being said, I don't love Sting. In fact, the more I listen to it, the more it's "driving me mad," and not in a good way. His number does have so good points, though, so let's go through some of them before we dive into everything that's wrong with Sting.

Things I Like About Sting

  • The staging. Eric and his dancers have moves
  • "Damn that was a rough night."
  • The rhythm. If I didn't understand the lyrics, I might even like this song. 
  • His suit. Even though it kinda reminds me of Lucifer from Supernatural, he totally rocks that all-white suit. 
  • The flying stage. I actually squealed when it came on-screen. 
  • The gold glitter confetti. In the first semi, Eric was acting like he'd already won before the results even came in, and I think that's going to work to his advantage. 
  • The fact that it's Eric Saade singing it. Not only is he super Popular, just like he predicted back in 2011, but he's got a great voice and a huge fan base. If I were Swedish, I'd vote for him even though I don't like his song. That's loyalty, and that's also going to work in his favor. 
Things I Really Don't Like About Sting
  • The song. 
    • "I knew you before you were a cool kid, so screw you." Really? We knew you before you were Popular, Eric. We knew you when you were just a Man Boy. Give the dude you're singing about a break.
    • "She's drop dead hot amazing, a little crazy." This just sounds awkward. 
    • The chorus. How many times do you have to repeat "it's gonna sting so bad, it'll drive you mad." I don't even know where you got 'sting' from. You're not a bumble bee. 
I'm honestly starting to reconsider my prediction that this number is going to win Melfest. I think it would do fairly well in Vienna just on the grounds that most of the songs I've heard so far are pants and even Sting is better than 'I'm Still in Love with You' (Sorry, Britannia.) There are just too many other strong entries this year. If Eric does win, it's going to be by a very narrow margin. 

Verdict: 4 out of 10, if I'm being generous, which I am. This is a song contest after all, and if the song sucks, the performance can only redeem it so far. 

Vad tycker du? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment